Volunteer zambia project
Volunteer Zambia is a programme run by the Wallace Group, which operates through a collaboration between eight UK universities (including St Andrews).
It uses sport as a tool to engage, educate and empower young people both in Zambia, around Lusaka, and the UK and enables them to learn key skills such as teamwork and communication while focusing on the enjoyment which sport can bring to the lives of young people.
Who am i?
My name is Molly and I am a 2nd year student studying Neuroscience at The University of St Andrews and I am also part of the University's Saints Netball Club. As a keen netballer I am excited to be given the chance to share my love for the sport by coaching it to young girls; who are not given the same opportunities to play. I will be joined by other members of Saints Sport who will also help to deliver sessions in their chosen sport.
Along with other volunteers from St Andrews, I am going to Zambia for six weeks this summer to mentor peer leaders in netball coaching. By doing so, I hope to enable them to improve their leadership and coaching skills, run the programme themselves with the aim to make it sustainable once we leave.
Raising the Money
I will be taking part in some team fundraisers with the rest of the International Volunteers. These include:
St Andrews Spin-a-thon
I’m taking part in a 12-hour Spin-a-thon with my fellow teammates where we will take turns to cycle from 8am - 8pm. We will also be organising a bake sale to accompany the cycling.
St Andrews Colour Run
A 5km fun colour run for all the family.
Zumba for Zambia
A Zumba session open to the community.
Where will the money go?
Funds will go to:
- cover travel costs to Zambia and subsistence costs while I’m living there (and if I meet that target).
- raise further funds for the equipment required to run the sessions.
- I'll also be giving out some rewards to thank people who are donating so please check them out!
Please help me to succeed!
- You don't need to give money to help me succeed!
- Please share this project with anyone you think would support me – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog. Please don’t forget to sign up as a Helper or Follower.
- Find and follow Volunteer Zambia on Facebook
- In fact, share it with everyone you know - it's a great idea, and the more people who know about it, the more likely I am to achieve my goal. And I know I said you don't need to give money to help, but I'd love it if you did! Please sponsor me and help make this happen. I am so excited to be taking part in this wonderful project. Thank you!