Saints Sport has been running international volunteering programmes in Africa for over 10 years, primarily in the capital of Lusaka and surrounding rural communities. To continue our commitment to support the important work Sport in Action are undertaking across Zambia, Saints Sport launched a programme in Livingstone.
This will be the third year of its running, where we will spend six weeks supporting Sport in Action to provide practical and theory-based programmes of sport and education within schools.
The work will seek to strengthen the placement work already taking place in the school catchment areas, to ensure the work of Sport in Action is achieving even greater reach.
To ensure sustainability beyond the six weeks there will be a strong emphasis on capacity building, including support for facility developments, equipment, and leadership support for community volunteers.
My name is Maia, and I am a 4th year student studying Molecular Biology at The University of St Andrews, and I am also part of the University's netball club as the outreach officer and a player. I have been lucky that as a result I have furthered my coaching experience through our fantastic Junior Saints club and New Cluster Club at Madras. I also work for Active schools and coach multisport classes in the local primary schools. I am excited to be given the chance to share my love for the sport by coaching young girls who are not given the same opportunities to play. I will be joined by other members of Saints Sport who will also help to deliver sessions in their chosen sport, and I cannot wait for this experience.
Where will the money go?
- Covering the cost of travel, vaccinations, accommodation.
- If I raise more funds these will support in-country costs and areas of greatest need relating to the programme.
I will also be giving out some rewards to thank people who are donating, so please check them out!
PLEASE Help ME succeed!
- You don't need to give money to help me succeed!
- Please share this project with anyone you think would support me – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog. Please don’t forget to sign up as a Helper or Follower.
- In fact, share it with everyone you know - it's a great idea, and the more people who know about it, the more likely I am to achieve my goal. And I know I said you don't need to give money to help, but I'd love it if you did! Please sponsor me and help make this happen. I am so excited to be taking part in this wonderful project. Thank you!
- All donations received over and above my target will be held securely for the sole purpose of Volunteer Zambia initiatives – now or in the future.