Saints Volunteer, Livingstone
Saints Sport has been running international volunteering programmes in Africa for over 10 years, primarily in the capital Lusaka and surrounding rural communities.
To continue our commitment to support the important work Sport in Action are undertaking across Zambia, we are delighted to have launched a project in Livingstone in Southern Province. In its first year, a team of 6 student coaches from Saints Sport spent 6 weeks in Zambia helping Sport in Action to provide a practical and theory-based programme of sport and education within a variety of schools: Zambezi Primary School (700 pupils), Dambwa Primary School (700 pupils), SOS Children’s Village David Livingstone. The programme seeks to strengthen the placement work already taking place in highlighted school catchment areas, to ensure the work Sport in Action are undertaking achieves even greater reach.
Who am I?
My name is Pasha, and I am a 4th year student studying Management at The University of St Andrews and I am also part of the University's Student Sport Team acting as the Treasurer. I have been lucky that as a result I have been allowed to gain coaching experience by taking weekly Tots Basic Moves and Football classes as well as a weekly S1-S3 football class and I occasionally volunteer at the gymnastics and tennis classes. I also help coach at the in-service camps during the holiday breaks to provide a range of activities for levels from P1-P7. I am excited to be given the chance to share my love for the sport by helping educate coaches, who are not given the same opportunities to learn. I will be joined by other members of Saints Sport who will also help to deliver sessions in their chosen sport.
Along with other volunteers from St Andrews, I am going to Zambia for six weeks this summer to mentor peer leaders in football coaching and PE. By doing so, I hope to enable them to improve their leadership and coaching skills, run the programme themselves with the aim to make it sustainable once we leave.
Where will the money go?
Funds will go to:
- Cover travel costs to Zambia and subsistence costs while I’m living there.
- If I raise more funds these will support in-country costs and areas of greatest need relating to the programme.
I'll also be giving out some rewards to thank people who are donating so please check them out!
To raise money for this trip, myself and the other volunteers going to Zambia will be raising funds through some team events in the upcoming months. We have the St Andrews winter fun run and colour run coming up where after the run I have helped to organise a series of carnival games that will be fun for all
Please help me to succeed!
- You don't need to give money to help me succeed!
- Please share this project with anyone you think would support me – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog. Please don’t forget to sign up as a Helper or Follower.
- In fact, share it with everyone you know - it's a great idea, and the more people who know about it, the more likely I am to achieve my goal. And I know I said you don't need to give money to help, but I'd love it if you did! Please sponsor me and help make this happen. I am so excited to be taking part in this wonderful project. Thank you!
- All donations received over and above my minimum target will be held securely for the sole purpose of Volunteer Zambia initiatives – now or in the future.