Volunteer South Africa is an international volunteering programme run in partnership with the University of St Andrews, Stellenbosch University and the Stellenbosch Academy of Sport.
Saints SPort's role
Each year we recruit from six to ten student volunteers to coach netball, hockey, rugby and football as representatives of the University of St Andrews in South Africa. The programme gives these students an excellent opportunity to experience African culture at first hand: they spend four to eight weeks helping to deliver PE sessions, sport-specific coaching and classroom-based sessions at Rietenbosch Primary School – situated to the north of Stellenbosch between the Simonsburg mountain and Cloetesville.
Students who apply for a place on the programme must submit a written application and attend an interview. Applicants must also demonstrate their ability to coach and play football, hockey, netball or rugby proficiently. Those who perform the best throughout the application process will be selected to participate in the project.
Volunteer South Africa provides those selected with an excellent opportunity not only to change lives, but also to have a life-changing experience themselves.
SKILLS and qualifications
In addition to requiring interpersonal, communication, language, cultural and teaching skills, our Volunteer South Africa projects also require all coaches to have achieved at least the following level of qualifications:
- UKCC level 1 qualification in one of the key sports
- Emergency First Aid Certificate
- Safeguarding and Child Protection Training
- Disability Inclusion Training
Where will the money go
Our ultimate goal is to fully fund this programme so that successful applicants won’t have to rely on family and friends to support them financially (which currently precludes some students from participating).
The donations will therefore be used to:
- cover travel and subsistence costs (and once covered)
- raise further funds for the equipment required to run the sessions.
Help us succeed!
- You don’t just have to donate to help this to succeed! Please share this project on social media with anyone and everyone and help spread the word by signing up as a helper or follower.
- It would be great if you could sponsor us though. Thank you!
- Find and follow Go Saints Volunteer South Africa on Facebook or visit the website.