A short summary of THE project
Volunteer Zambia is a programme run by the Wallace Group, which works with eight UK universities (including St Andrews). It uses sport to engage, educate and empower young people both in Zambia, around Lusaka, and the UK and enables them to learn key skills such as teamwork and communication while focusing on the enjoyment which sport can bring to the lives of young people. I will be involved in coaching children basketball as well as collaborating with local coaches to help leave a lasting legacy in the area.
Who Am I?
My name is Tom, and I am a first-year history student currently studying at the University of St Andrews. Basketball has been an important part of my life so far and I have always found pleasure in being coached and coaching others. I hope this challenge will enable me to pass on the skills I have learnt to others.
My group from St Andrews as well as other groups from universities across the UK are raising money to travel out to Zambia to provide comprehensive basketball lessons to young people of all ages. This extensive programme will build on the work of earlier years, with the connections made by previous expeditions being developed to provide basketball coaching well after we leave. This programme allows us to teach many people what we have learned playing basketball in the UK, as well as us being able to learn from the different people we interact with while developing a sports programme.
Where will the money go?
- Funding will be spent on travel costs, vaccinations, and accommodation.
- If I raise more funds these will support in-country costs and areas of greatest need relating to the programme.
There will be fun rewards for different levels of donation as a thank you for contributing to my fundraising!
Please Help ME succeed!
- Donating is not the only way you can help me raise money to meet my target, letting as many people know as possible will help me to meet my goals and provide the basketball coaching in Zambia.
- Sharing my project on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or any other social media sites will massively help me
- Also letting all your friends and family know can help raise the extra funds that may help me to reach my goal.